Answer Gilly’s 11 questions
Gilly has put 11 random questions on her blog for anyone to answer. Here are my responses:
1. Is there an item that you never leave home without, if so what is it?
I was going to say something predictable like my keys. Wrong. I’ve locked myself out a few times in my life. My wallet? Um… done that maybe once. My mobile phone? Yup, forgotten that a few times too.
So I started thinking about what I absolutely never leave home without. The answer was obvious. Clothing. I’ve never walked out the door nude.
2. If you were given a free holiday is there a destination you would refuse to go to?
I think my worst nightmare would be a desert. Hot with no trees sounds like torture to me.
3. Did you have a school uniform? describe it!
I had not one but 5 school uniforms. There was the primary school one; and then in high school a summer and winter uniform for 3 years and then a different one for the next three years.
The worst of these was like a giant sack. Mine was a giant and very long sack as my mother, using her frugal wisdom, bought a large one so that I wouldn’t outgrow it in three years.
It came with a shirt and a tie you wore underneath. Halfway down it had two ‘pockets’ only they weren’t pockets. They were a bit of fabric which covered up the top of the pleat; disguised as pockets. So we called them ‘dag flaps’. There was one handy thing about the dag flags though. In mine at least, there was a small hole under the flap and above the pleat. I’d put my fingers through the holes and pull up my stockings discreetly in winter.
The fact that we had to wear stockings to keep our legs warm was because the school clung to its traditional uniform for a few decades too long. Finally several years after I left school, girls were at last permitted to wear trousers.
4. Do you still have friends from your school days?
A couple. A social butterfly I aint.
5. Have you ever tried any extreme sports?
Given my appalling athletic skills you could call riding a bicycle an extreme sport for me. The chances of my being able to do it with my uncoordinated ways are extreme.
6. Whats the longest you have slept in one go?
I’m sure I’ve gone at least 12 hours. Whatever it is, my cat beats me I’m sure.
7. From what you know about me is there a book you would recommend?
11 questions you must answer before you die?
8. Could you ride a skateboard for a hundred metres without falling off?
Refer to earlier answer about extreme sport ability. Absolutely not.
9. Favourite breakfast?
Poached eggs, crispy bacon and toast. It’s a favourite because I don’t have it often and when I do my partner cooks it for me. It also reminds me of being on holiday.
10. Can you navigate on a journey to a strange town a few hundred miles away?
Absolutely! I’m a woman who can read a map.
11. Is there something you cook really well?
Something that involves the instruction, insert in microwave for 5 minutes, then serve.
And now, predictably, I have 11 questions for you? There’s something fun about setting questions. That’s why I’m sure that people would rather be the people making the trivia night questions up than answering them. Anyway, here goes:
- You have won a competition which will supply you with clothes for the next year. The only catch is the clothes are in the style of one of the following ‘eras’. Which do you choose? 1920s? 1940s? 1950s? 1960s? 1970s? or 1980s?
- Do you eat olives?
- If you could have a superhero power (go invisible, fly etc), what power would you want?
- Your health is failing and you have to move into a nursing home. What 3 things can you not live without and you want to take with you?
- What’s the one thing which would make your job better?
- You get to build your dream house; unlimited money etc. What’s the quirkiest feature of your house?
- If you were on a limited income and you had $30 leftover this week, what would you spend it on? (Presuming you have already got enough food, paid the electricity bill etc).
- When did you stop believing in Santa Claus (if indeed you did)
- What household task / chore do you hate most and why?
- Do you nap during the daytime?
- When you pass away, after you have allowed for your family, which charity would you leave money to and why?